Ad unit 1

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Some sci-fi inspiration...

An artistic journey through space and time...

Anyone who knows me is aware that I have been a life-long fan of science fiction and horror. Some of my earliest memories are of watching "Doctor Who" with my father on PBS (Tom Baker is my favorite doctor. The first episode I remember was "Robot" which is Baker's first appearance.)  I also very clearly remember being angry with my mother in 1979 when she wouldn't take me to go see a movie that I saw a commercial for on TV. This was the commerical:


I would have been 6 years old when I saw this which means two things: My mother showed good judgement and I was one weird kid!

Anyway, the whole point of this post is to share more artwork. In 2014 I made this little pen and ink, based on H.R. Giger's xenomorph from the "Alien" franchise. Seeing that early TV commercial really made an impact on me, I guess.  I created this shortly before Giger's passing in May of 2014. Here it is framed and hanging. This was drawn for a special-theme show, "Guilty Pleasures." This is all I wanted to draw, though I wouldn't count sci-fi and horror as a "guilty" pleasure, really.



Prior to this, in 2012 I had entered another special-theme show, "Mailboxes." Instead of a nice bucolic roadside mailbox, I wanted to do something different. The idea for this piece came when I was thinking about mail... in space!!!

You will recognize this piece as the background art for my blog's header.

My airbrush was on the fritz (where it has remained for the past couple of years- those things are more trouble they they're worth sometimes) so I used some wet-on-wet techniques to create swirling nebulas and galaxies. This is acrylic on canvas, and rather small, measuring 8"x10" if I recall correctly.



Then I added my mailbox. I painted it to look roughly like a USPS box, with rockets, boosters and other spacey things. The lettering mimics different alien languages, mainly from Star Trek.


Unfortunately, this is the best picture I have of the finished work. I finished it up and it was barely dry when I framed it and brought it to the show. Someone purchased it at the show, so this pic is as good as it gets, I'm afraid. 

This was a fun little piece. 



No comments:

Post a Comment