Ad unit 1

Friday, March 6, 2015

Swamp Tales figures

Swamp Tales is an awesome comic-strip style comic book written and published by my amazing soon-to-be husband Keith Gleason (we're hoping for a wedding this spring if we can get our act together!) I have done several pieces of art for Swamp Tales but in this post I am going to focus on sculpture. You can read more about Swamp Tales here.

When the first issue of Swamp Tales came out, Keith had an amazing cover drawn by the fantastically versatile Chris Gugliotti.

I just LOVE this illustration!


As you can see, Chris put his own style into the drawing and made it come to life . When I prepared to do some figures of the characters, I wanted to create a synthesis of Chris' drawing and Keith's drawings of the characters. The most notably different is Bucky the Beaver. Slither also has slightly different eyes. You can see the differences if you look at these panels:

So, here is my Bucky in progress. You'll notice that I did give him ears like the one Chris drew, but the nose and head shape is more like Keith's. This pic is interesting as I almost *never* think to take in-progress shots. You can also see some of my supplies in the background (Apoxie Sculpt.) The figure is an aluminum foil and wire armature with joints reinforced by Apoxie Sculpt and a skin of Super Sculpey over it. The paws and tail are also Apoxie.


Here is a close-up of Bucky's finished head. 


Here is the finished sculpture with all three characters. They were all sculpted in a fashion similar to Bucky and painted with acrylic paint. I glued them to a log slice and added some Spanish moss which looks quite nice. I intended to make a sculpted sign but didn't have time, as I was sculpting this for a comic con.

I plan on taking a better pic at some point!

Keep an eye out for more of my Swamp Tales related art in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment