Ad unit 1

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Unicorn


This is an art doll that I made in 2014. What exactly is an “art doll”?  I suppose there are various definitions, but in my own work I consider any mixed media figurative sculpture, especially those with some soft materials incorporated to be art dolls. It’s a doll in that it is a figure, but it is art in that you can’t *really* play with it.

I have always liked unicorns and fantasy art, and I had some super soft brown mohair hanging around from the mermaids I made (you can see those here.) so I decided to make a non-traditional unicorn (aka not white.)


The armature is threaded steel rods with aluminum foil and aluminum wire, and it was sculpted with a mix of materials. The unicorn body is primarily Super Sculpey Firm. The ears, hooves, grass and flowers are made of Apoxie Sculpt. The eyes are lapis lazuli beads and the hair is the aforementioned mohair. She was painted with acrylic paints. Glass and aluminum barrettes and red ribbon finish her off. She stands about 16” high. I ended up donating her to a raffle for Broken Tail Rescue.






No comments:

Post a Comment