Ad unit 1

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Miyazaki figures

I attended last weekend's Camden Comic Con at Rutgers in New Jersey (3/7/15) with Keith Gleason and Matt Herring. What a fun show! It was a one-day show and unlike most of the shows happening this day, it wasn't overrun with celebrities and high-end professional cosplayers. This was a really fan-centered and comic heavy show. Keith and Matt sold their books, Keith's Swamp Tales and Hero Envy and Matt's The Unofficial Doctor Who Companion. They both did well, by all reports.

I had my own merchandise at this show as well: Miyazaki figures! I am a fan of Miyazaki's work and, while I'm not an expert super fan, the characters he designed really speak to me. I whipped up some figures to sell at shows this year based on his creations. The figures themselves are on the small side because I want to keep things at an accessible price for fans and at a reasonable production level for myself.

First up is an army of No-Faces from Spirited Away. These little guys are roughly thumb sized and are solid Sculpey. They are $5 a piece and make perfect desk doo-dads or car companions. They were fun to make.


Next up is Totoro from My Neighbor Totoro. I love this chubby little guy! He is about 4" high and is a Sculpey skin over aluminum foil, epoxy-glued onto a birch base. $20. 


Lastly, I made some Kodoma, the tree spirits from Princess Mononoke. I really enjoyed the repetitive, meditative nature of sculpting and placing all of the leaves. This is about 7" tall and is an aluminum armature, reinforces with Apoxie Sculpt for strength and sculpted with Sculpey. $50. 

I already have some ideas for improving these sculptures. i will be switching from Sculpey brand glaze to a PYM II aerosol polymer-safe varnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment